3.13.2012

Life-Long Learner

yearly updated infographic aligned to the grid via

This morning, I read an awesome post from Typecast about using baselines in web design. I was originally introduced to *THE GRID* within the first few weeks of my college career, but only ever really utilized it from a print perspective. Although I think the word 'utilize' might be a big of an understatement when it comes to the grid. Laying out a baseline grid is the beginning, middle and end of every single project that I do. I check, re-check, align and re-space, to the point that I can admit that I am completely neurotic about it. I'm fairly certain that no design ever suffered by being too careful about this simple layout principle.

Needless to say, I was really excited when I came across this article that highlights four simple steps to designing and coding vertical rhythm for web. Rhythm is something that every artist (poets, musicians and visual artists alike) strive towards, so I look forward to truly understanding a new way to apply it to my work. On top of this article teaching an extremely valuable skill, I was happy to come across it so early in the week, since I have made it a personal goal since last April to try to learn a new design skill every week. (A designer's gotta keep up with the industry!)

So, do you think that using a grid doesn't make that much difference in the layout of a page? Think again:

Before    //    After

Have you learned anything new lately? Do you see value in teaching yourself new skills on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?

Grids and guides,






P.S. Fellow Bloggers: Pugly Pixel's guide to organizing fashion/product collages using grids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback. Thanks for visiting the Art of Life. Head over to www.v13designs.com for more from me.